Topic: INLINE vs. OpenPGP/MIME

I am wondering why you picked INLINE over OpenPGP/MIME.  In addition to the verification problems I am having between POP and WebMail (I sent you where to get the info on that), mail programs like Evolution and the plugin to Mac's Mail App only understand OpenPGP/MIME.  The GnuPG worked their little hearts out making sylpheed-claws (an Outlook look and feel alike) so that Windows users can send in this better format (OpenPGP/MIME).  It doesn't matter because I am having signing problems even using my own key and sending to myself from HotMail, GMail, Yahoo, and a POP mail account (using Thunderbird for POP).  The only reason I am asking is becuase I don't know whether it is too late to change, or if it was almost impossible to do OpenPGP/MIME (much preferred).

Re: INLINE vs. OpenPGP/MIME

It's impossible to Send openpgp/mine, but we will verifiy this kind of messages,

Now that I looked at it a little more carefully you not only can't do PGP/MIME sending, but you can't do PGP/MIME receiving of messages that are signed either.  It is just the nature of the beast (WebMail) that you can only sometimes handle decrypting of PGP/MIME encrypted in a POP emailer (which explains why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't for me).  Signing is another matter.  I will address that in a follow-up else where.  Looking good though!

Do you mean your planning to verify OpenPGP/MIME or it should work currently? In my experience, it doesn't work.

eean wrote:

Do you mean your planning to verify OpenPGP/MIME or it should work currently? In my experience, it doesn't work.

First, I am NOT one of the authors of FireGPG. Were you asking about OpenPGP/MIME signing or just signing period?  Pull down the following file and look at some of my tests of the signing (all INLINE):

http://www.securemecca.com/FireGPG.zip

The results are pretty dismal.  I imagine my huge digest algorithm doesn't help (SHA-512). On the other hand INLINE encrypting / decryping works well and sometimes OpenPGP/MIME *decrypting* works.  But I was only able to do that ONCE.

WebMail puts sever constraints on what you can do, and INLINE is the only thing that they have a chance of doing anything with regularity.  It is just that the only bundled POP / IMAP MUA program with Ubuntu Linux is Evolution and unless it has become better, it only accomodates OpenPGP/MIME.  Thunderbird is NOT bundled with Ubuntu Linux. Apple's Mail App is the same way - it only handles OpenPGP/MIME.

What I was trying to get the authors to do was just say that FireGPG does INLINE so people don't get confused.  Initially that one successful decrypt for a OpenPGP/MIME encrypted message was what made me wonder what was happening.  Since then, I haven't been able to get OpenPGP/MIME decrypting to work (sending from myself to myself).

Actually I would be against OpenPGP/MIME mostly because there are some mailers that fail to support it properly.  Outlook Express is one of those mailers and I remember several people that mentioned that it did not display properly in that application (a 3rd party addin helped for some but that wasn't the point).