Topic: Long messages in Gmail give wrong sig

I'm having a problem using FireGPG in Gmail.  When I send myself a short, 1-line message, my signature verifies correctly.  When I send a longer, multiple line message, things don't work.  This is both in rich mode and text mode.  For example

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

testarooo
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Use GnuPG with Firefox : http://getfiregpg.org (Version: 0.7.5)

iEYEARECAAYFAkoKGFEACgkQ5bb9UNQYi/bbmACfbByKKufsQvjAN0e7VjxaB86P
Da0AnAtcfofiEWVSG/iHHDM1/NlHwNvw
=uIpi
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
That works

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Use GnuPG with Firefox : http://getfiregpg.org (Version: 0.7.5)

iEYEARECAAYFAkoKGF8ACgkQ5bb9UNQYi/aZsACfW3m8cbfBV6YgXjZ0YZrHZ2q4
FlgAnjdbg48VAFtX6DCCn4D1QO6R4u6Z
=Gu86
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
That doesn't.

Doing the same messages in Enigmail works just fine.  Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

I also am having a terrible time with replied messages in gmail (both in Enigmail and FireGPG).  It has something to do with quoted text, but I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong exactly.  It's probably something stupid on my end.

Any thoughts?

Re: Long messages in Gmail give wrong sig

Inline is bad, openpgp/mine dosen't have this problems. Use it wink

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  Are you saying I shouldn't clearsign my messages and that I should do something else?

Yes, you shouldn't clearsign your messages and should use OpenPGP/mime. Just be sure to not select 'inline' when you compose the mail wink

Sorry, I'm not incredibly familiar yet with OpenPGP signatures.  When you say "OpenPGP/mime" do you mean just regular "sign".  If so, I see 2 options for that.  Either select my text and select "sign" from FireGPG's context menu, or just click the "sign" button below the "To" field when composing the mail.  It seems as though the latter works well, so I'll continue to use that.  Thanks.

However, in the process I did noticed a problem (maybe a bug?).  When FireGPG signs and sends my message, in the "From" field of the email header, it just puts my email, not my name + email.  For example, it puts "user@example.com" as opposed to "John Doe <user@example.com>".  Any way to change that?

> Any way to change that?

Options / Gmail / -> Set custom From field : John Doe <user@example.com> wink

I assume the option labeled "Force from field:" is the one you mean.  Thanks.  Would be nice if this was built in though, so that it's compatible with using FireGPG with multiple gmail accounts.  Anyways, thanks for your help!  This is a great tool!

You're welcome wink

About the bug I mentioned above, apparently it only applies to the first email in a conversation.  Replies send just fine (From: John Doe <user@example.com>).  Original (non-reply) emails send using only the email address (From: user@example.com).  Any thoughts on why that might be?

He can't detect your name and use what he find, in this situation your gmail's account adress. It's "normal".