Topic: error decrypting

Ok so i had multiples of errors i went through getting gnu to work with firegpg.  here is the last error that i just cant fix.  keys import and export successfully but when i go to decrypt or anybody else goes to decrypt the emails i send i get an error which you can see in the picture showing in this link i posted.
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy16 … ithgpg.jpg

Any and all help will be appreciated.
thanks

Re: error decrypting

You don't have the private key of the data you try to decrypt, it's normal...

Encrypt a message with your public key, your private key will be able to decrypt it.

What i am saying is nobody can read my encrypted emails with my key and i cant read them with anybody elses keys.  When my friend sends me his key with an encrypted message, it does not decrypt with his key and the same when i use my key and send  myself one.  I also get a no valid pgp data error when i try to highlight the text and decrypt it manually.

Last edited by isotopes420 (2009-10-02 15:43:25)

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
http://www.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/eng … Howto.html

Here is the problem i have installed multiple versions of gnupg and i have fire gpg installed.  no matter what i do i still cannot decrypt messages.  Why would everything in firegpg work except this function.  then i get this error.
Decryption failed. Unknown error.
gpg: WARNING: "--no-use-agent" is an obsolete option - it has no effect

[GNUPG:] ENC_TO B27E470D83F10270 1 0

[GNUPG:] BEGIN_DECRYPTION

[GNUPG:] DECRYPTION_FAILED

gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

[GNUPG:] END_DECRYPTION

This error started out of the blue one morning when i woke up and logged into my email to decrypt a message and it didnt work after working just fine the night before.  Multiple versions of gnupg from gpg4win.com and multiple versions of windows on 3 different terminals in my home and i still get the same error.  I dont understand how this could be when i install the programs directly from the download and i dont mess with any of the settings.  i have the destination set in the options right because if not i couldnt even import keys and encrypt.  either i am missing some important detail or im just an idiot but the fact that i just stopped decrypting all messages out the blue is odd.  If anybody has aim my s/n is mindstools and and for yahoo messanger is isotopes420 so if anybody wants to chat with me that has lots of experience i would even let you gain remote acess to my system to help me with this i would appreciate it.
thanks

Did you read me and read things I linked ?

Ya i read everything and now i understand that i was encrypting the messages using my key when i was suppose to use the key of the person the message is going to on top of the fact that the key the guy was using to send me a message had a glitch or some problem maybe from exporting it.  Im not sure but after installing all new software as well as making new keys and encrypting with the right key and having a friend encrypt with the right key i get my password prompt to pop up and it decrypts just fine.  Thanks for all the help and good reading.

smile