Topic: Problems with Gmail and PGP-compatibility

When I click Inline in GMail it seems to work ok and things can be decrypted anyway I want later.
There is some issue with the linebreaks showing up as boxes in the decrypted text though.

When I don't use Inline but just have Encrypt or Sign or booth checked it doesn't seem the output is compatible with anything other then FireGPG though.

If I mail myself I can read it when FireGBG decrypts. But if I try to decrypt and verify manually either with GnuPG or PGP desktop it doesn't work.

They says they decrypted successfully but the output looks something like this:
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

DQpNZWQgdsOkbmxpZyBow6Rsc25pbmcvQmVzdCByZWdhcmRzLA0KSMOla2FuIEsuIEFybm9sZHNv
bg0KDQotLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0t
LS0tLS0tLQ0KV291bGQgeW91IHNlbmQgeW91ciByZWd1bGFyIG1haWwgd2l0aG91dCBhbiBlbnZl
bG9wZT8gZS1NYWlsIHNlcnZlcnMgY29tbXVuaWNhdGUgd2l0aCBlYWNoIG90aGVyIGluIGNsZWFy
IHRleHQuIEl0IGlzIGxpa2Ugc2VuZGluZyBhIHBvc3RjYXJkLg0KUGxlYXNlIGNvbnNpZGVyIGVu
Y3J5cHRpbmcgYW5kIHNpZ25pbmcgeW91ciBlLW1haWxzLg0KDQpNb3JlIGluZm9ybWF0aW9uIGFu
ZCBrZXlzOg0KaHR0cDovL3d3dy5hcm5vbGRzb24ubmV0L2VuY3J5cHQuaHRtbA0KDQo=

Is there a way to fix this? Cause breaking line breaks or breaking everything like this when decrypting with something else then FireGPG really makes it unusable.

Also messages that are signed only can't be verified by other PGP-compatible software. Since it sends the signature as an attachment and there is no file to link it to since that would be the e-mail. Since that doesn't work it would be much better if it could clearsign by default...

Last edited by zedd (2010-01-12 05:19:30)

Re: Problems with Gmail and PGP-compatibility

> But if I try to decrypt and verify manually either with GnuPG or PGP desktop it doesn't work.
> Also messages that are signed only can't be verified by other PGP-compatible software

It's compatible with all PGP compatible who support openpgp/mime. Like enigmail for thunderbird, mutt (plugin ?), etc.

Well it doesn't decrypt from using the plain encrypted text as it appears in Gmail or attachaced asc file in other e-mail clients.

Not with PGP Desktop, not with GnuGPG and not with itself....

Normal, because it's an encrypted mail smile

Hmm ok, problem was Inline did the same thing for me which made it pretty bizzare but I think it might just not have been activated properly.

Inline does however mess up all my line breaks. And this is what I need to use, everyone I know that use PGP use it thru the clipboard.

Actually the right click encryption on any text seems to remove the line breaks and replace them with boxes.

Last edited by zedd (2010-01-17 23:58:29)

You shouldn't use inline anyways, as it's not a standard and not very compatible with another mails clients (including FireGPG in some case...)

Right click and encrypt also don't preserve the line breaks properly for notepad.

I have to use inline cause no sensible people use there own e-mail client and not everyone use gmail so they can't decrypt otherwise if what you just said is true.

But if they want encryption with they mail client, they should use the software for wink Outlook, thunderbird and another have plugins to do it smile