Topic: Failed to load XPCOM component

Hello,

i already read some threads in this Forum, but i found no solution.
I uninstalled Firefox several times, rebooted, deleted my application data, etc... no success. (Firefxp is not installed).

So here is output of the errorconsole while installing firegpg:

Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\user\Anwendungsdaten\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xckp05tg.default\extensions\firegpg@firegpg.team\components\ipc-latest.tar.gz

Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\user\Anwendungsdaten\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xckp05tg.default\extensions\firegpg@firegpg.team\platform\WINNT_x86-msvc\components\ipc.dll

Any help is appreciated...

I managed to run firepgp on two other systems with the same installation files:

Windows Xp Sp3
Gpg4win 1.1.4 (no lite)
Firefox 3.0.6

Re: Failed to load XPCOM component

Hello,

First line is normal.

Second is not. Are your using xp 64 bits ?

No, this systems runs on 32 bit.

When i access the preferences of firepgp i get the following error: Error: Firegpg cannot access the IPC ...

Edit: Installed .NET 3.5. Now it is working...

Last edited by styxx (2009-02-24 13:59:37)

This message is flooding my error console every time I open it:

Failed to load XPCOM component: /home/me/.mozilla/firefox/abcd.default/extensions/firegpg@firegpg.team/components/ipc-latest.tar.gz

Using "0.7.4"

How is it "normal"? smile

Because it's the source code of the xpcom wink

Hello glu... I am having the same trouble with FireGPG being unable to access the IPC. Although I am not aware of any errors with XPCOM.

FireGPG works fine on my Ubuntu machine but on my windows machine it fails to access the IPC library.

WinXP SP3, intel x86 32 bit
Firefox 3.0.7
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.9 (Gpg4win 1.1.4)

I tested this by using a fresh profile in firefox <via "--profileManager"> with no addons installed, same results.
On my regular profile, my only addons are CookieCuller and Downloadthemall. I have never, ever, ever touched or heard of FireFTP.

If I go to "Tools / Error Console" this console does not appear to report anything when I open the FireGPG options page.
Asking FireGPG to use the older version of the IPC library, via options checkbox, does not appear to have any effect.

If you have a way to display debug data in this addon I would like to try that. I don't know if I want to go as far as installing a build environment on this machine however.

Thank you the_glu,

Linny^

There are no debug data, as xpcom are handled by Firefox so... wink

But I am not getting the XPCOM error, only the "unable to access the IPC" error. That error is generated by FireGPG. Thus, cannot FireGPG provide meaningful debug data as to why it cannot access the IPC? To whit, the reasons behind why it popped open that particular error window?

Failing that, is there anything else we who suffer from this bug might do to investigate? Are you hot on the trail of the cause, or could you use our unique ability to replicate the problem to aid in the search?

Thank you.

Linny^

> To whit, the reasons behind why it popped open that particular error window?

Because he ask Firefox to load the xpcom, and firefox said 'no' wink

>Failing that, is there anything else we who suffer from this bug might do to investigate?

Problem is that I can't reproduce it, and I don't know why some people have it.

Btw, FireFTP ?

> Btw, FireFTP ?

I have never, ever, ever touched or heard of FireFTP.

On my regular profile, my only addons are CookieCuller and Downloadthemall.
I tested this by using a fresh profile in firefox <via "--profileManager"> with no addons installed, same results.

> Problem is that I can't reproduce it, and I don't know why some people have it.

Could you use our unique ability to replicate the problem to aid in the search?

Let us be your eyes and hands. If you were in front of my computer right now, seeing this error, what would you try next?

Linny^

> what would you try next?

Format Xp and try with a fresh os :]

Maybe better : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/2230 . Give me the list of your xpcom installed wink {You can filter to IPC if you have it}

Well, I've tried XPCOM Component Viewer but it gives me this error:
XPCOM Component Viewer 0.7.1 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.0.7.

My windows install is only used for a chat application I could not run on linux, so it is a very close to clean install. I leave plenty of unpartitioned space, so I can try another clean install.. I'm just not certain how we can gather data about the problem from doing that. Making it work for me would be an act of convenience (thus, an inconvenient install to dispell only my demon would defeat the purpose) but if I can help make it work for others, then it is worth me spending some time to help out. ^_^

Is this perhaps related to the recent 3.0.7 firefox update? If I were to re-install clean, replicate the problem, and send you a ghost of the partition as a test case, would that be helpful?

Linny^

It's said on the addon that he is compatible with fx 3.0pre, can you intall and a old beta version of firefox 3.0 ?

Well that is quite peculiar. Here is what happened.
I've went to http://www.oldversion.com/Mozilla-Firefox.html in order to get an older version of that. I chose v3.0.0 and installed it to a seperate folder as not to muss up my regular version.

XPCOM installed there fine, but when I tried FireGPG it worked. I closed the 3.0.0 and went back to my 3.0.7 install (confirming in help/about that it really is 3.0.7) and FireGPG works there now as well. O.o

So I guess things are working OK now, and perhaps others seeing this problem could try installing an older firefox into a different folder, to see if that properly grooms the XPCOM/IPC settings for your proper firefox install? ^_^

Thank you again for your help, glu.

Linny^