Topic: Request: Automaticly select public key for email recipient

It could be very usefull if it was possible to define rules of which public key to use for an email address. When you write a new email, then let FireGPG check if the email address in the "TO:" field match any of the emails in the rule list and use the specific key automaticly. In the rule list of email linked to a public key, you should also be able to choose if you want the email to this specific person to be signed or/and cryptet.

If you add more than one key to an email address, the user can be notified of which one to use before sending the mail.

I believe signing and crypting emails should work in the background without you knowing it, and simply show when the email are signed and crypted.

Last edited by ascaaear (2007-12-06 22:11:16)

Re: Request: Automaticly select public key for email recipient

ascaaear wrote:

... I believe signing and crypting emails should work in the background without you knowing it, and simply show when the email are signed and crypted.

I totally agree with request and votes for this feature request.  I have a simpler scheme which we had implemented in PmMail for os/2 in the '90s.  When the user clicks Encrypt or Encrypt and Send, simply select from among the available pub keys that match the to address, for each of the recipients, (and in the cc, bcc lists also).  If there is a unique key for that address, just use that silently.  If there is multiple for a to address, give the user a choice presenting just those two or few (not the whole list).  If there is a key not found for ANY OF THE to, cc, bcc, popup a warning, and get confirmation to proceed with fewer recipients.

Cordially, Chacko

This feature is done since a lot of time wink. But you still have to confirm, as we can do mistakes and we haven't a subkey support for the moment (where are located lots of emails) wink.

When I sent my original msg, I had subkeys, which I now understand cannot be handled by wingpg.  So I tried one without subkey.  Even for this, firegpg does not automatically and silently proceed with using the avaliable unique key, but popups a window with all my keys and the unitque key just highlighted, requiring me to confirm the selection.  This is really not need, assume it is confirmed if there is a unique key to a target address.  At least provide this as an option?

Cordially, Chacko

Hum. FireGPG should select the key. There are a problem so. Sure the email is the same ?

Additional info:  the keys were created in PGP 6.5.8 and is recognized by firegpg.  It does hi light the unique correct key for the correct email address and pops up the list of all keys.  All it firegpg require is a confirmation, and then it encripts and send the msg correctly.

Cordially, Chacko