Topic: Firefox Portable + GnuPG + FireGPG = CryptoFox

I've put together a software package with Firefox Portable, GnuPG, and FireGPG, all pre-configured and ready to use:

CryptoFox

Enjoy!

Re: Firefox Portable + GnuPG + FireGPG = CryptoFox

Chris,

First, how did you put this together?  There's a bunch of people on this forum that seem to be having problems doing FireGPG portably.  What did you do that these people didn't?

I'm very interested in this for a variety of reasons: I put together a "Firefox - Secure" version for something called The Kitchen Sink Portable Freeware.  I put a bunch of security plugins into Firefox and changed the home page to a secure, semi-anonymous Google site.  So I've done a lot of work with this.

If you keep working on this (I hope you do) you should be aware that in my travels I got a message from John Haller of PortableApps (he does Portable Firefox) telling me this wasn't totally legal.

Looking into this, it seems you need to get permission to use Mozilla Firefox's Trademark and redistribute their software.  This requirement made the guys over at Debian create a version called IceCat that doesn't have this requirement.  Its identical to Firefox but doesn't have their name.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat ... unfortuantely, its not out for Windows so this wasn't an option.

When I asked for permission on Mozilla's legal blog, they said this:

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla. … 4Xs7pefa-A

So I emailed parterns@mozilla.com and that's where I'm at right now.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

-WF

FireGPG is now working fine with portabily tools wink

chris_acheson wrote:

I've put together a software package with Firefox Portable, GnuPG, and FireGPG, all pre-configured and ready to use

Well done!
Thank you, Chris Acheson.

Trying to get others to use encryption with me has been difficult, because most don't have the patience to install the pieces.
Now I'll just point them to your self-extracting bundle.

-- Peter
Thailand