Topic: PGP Signed Message, could not be verified.

I've been using GnuPG for years, together with Enigmail for Thunderbird.  When I found FireGPG, I thought it was the coolest idea.  I'm using Windows Vista with Firefox 3.5.3.  Decryption seems to work fine, but whenever I try to verify a clearsigned page, I get the following message across the top of the text region:

PGP SIGNED MESSAGE, COULD NOT BE VERIFIED.

I've confirmed I have the requisite public key for the signature and can't seem to find a log file that'll give me more information about why the sig couldn't be verified.

I've uploaded a sample signed file here:

http://www.dugal.org/test.txt.asc

Any ideas on what may be wrong, and/or how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks!

- Dave

Re: PGP Signed Message, could not be verified.

Hi,

I have a valid signature here. With select/right click, is it working ?

If I click Display Original, select the text, then right-click and FireGPG -> Verify, I get:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/813055/NoVerify.jpg

"This message cannot be verified."

Is there any debug logging I can enable to find out why FireGPG can decrypt, but not verify?

- Dave

Installe Console² and check log from Chrome. If there is nothing, I can send you a special version of FireGPG who outputs a lot a informations in console², just send me an email.

Here's the Console² log.  Nothing FireGPG-specific shows up:

Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key="h" modifiers="control alt"
Source file: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
----------
Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key="n" modifiers="accel, alt"
----------
Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key="t" modifiers="accel,alt"
----------
Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key="i" modifiers="accel alt"
----------
Warning: The 'charCode' property of a keyup event should not be used. The value is meaningless.
----------
Error: document.getElementById("isgdcreator-toolbar-button") is null
Source file: chrome://isgdcreator/content/listener.js
Line: 20
----------
Error: document.getElementById("isgdcreator-toolbar-button") is null
Source file: chrome://isgdcreator/content/listener.js
Line: 20
----------
Warning: The 'charCode' property of a keyup event should not be used. The value is meaningless.
----------

- Dave

Not sure if this is relevant, but I just started Firefox Portable and noticed these errors:

Failed to load XPCOM component: U:\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile\extensions\{DDC359D1-844A-42a7-9AA1-88A850A938A8}\components\contenthandling.idl
----------
Failed to load XPCOM component: U:\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile\extensions\{DDC359D1-844A-42a7-9AA1-88A850A938A8}\components\debugService.idl
----------
Failed to load XPCOM component: U:\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile\extensions\{DDC359D1-844A-42a7-9AA1-88A850A938A8}\components\filterManager.idl
----------
Failed to load XPCOM component: U:\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile\extensions\firegpg@firegpg.team\components\ipc-latest.tar.gz

It could be random extension corruption or it could be a clue.

- Dave

No, they aren't important error tongue

the_glu wrote:

No, they aren't important error tongue

Didn't think so. cool

Is there anything a mere user can do to alleviate these errors?  Did something get installed wrong, or is Firefox Portable simply not supported?

- Dave

Firefox portable is supported so it's very strange. Did you set a correct home ?

the_glu wrote:

Firefox portable is supported so it's very strange. Did you set a correct home ?

I believe so:

FireGPG Options

Are there any other "home" settings I need?  GnuPG works from the command-line as well as within Thunderbird Enigmail.

- Dave

It's will works but only when your kes is U. Try this :

http://blog.getfiregpg.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mwhaha.png

True, although all my keys show up and I'm able to decrypt, just not verify inline.

For kicks, I did change the paths to include {$FXFolder}\..\..\..\ and everything that used to work, still works, but inline verification still results in a pink window stating "PGP SIGNED MESSAGE, COULD NOT BE VERIFIED."

- Dave

ps. http://getfiregpg.org/s/faq points to a Firefox Portable How-To that results in an Error 404.

Have you the latest gnupg version ?

Yes, as far as I know:

C:\Scratch>gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Home: U:/PGP
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,

CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Hash: MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, SHA224
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

So I don't know, sorry..

I appreciate you sticking with me so far, Max.  If you think of anything else to try, or come up with a debug image I can load, please feel free to contact me directly.

- Dave

Hi,

I have same problem too. I am using WinXP SP3 up to date(32bit), FF 3.5.5, last version gnupg for windows and last version firegpg. It doesnt verify any signed mail even mines. Here is my ff error logs;

Hata: FireGPG-debug: [misc.EnigConvertToUnicode]undefined@1143  Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIScriptableUnicodeConverter.ConvertToUnicode]
Kaynak dosya: chrome://firegpg/content/Core/misc.js
Hat: 82

Hata: FireGPG-debug: [misc.EnigConvertToUnicode]undefined@1143  Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIScriptableUnicodeConverter.ConvertToUnicode]
Kaynak dosya: chrome://firegpg/content/Core/misc.js
Hat: 82

i have 6 error like this.

And one more question; i can't "activate inline" in gmail. i tried click "active inline for this site" in gmail. but there wasnt "deactivate inline". is this normal?

Thank you

edit: i forgot to say. just inline verification doesnt work. if i use editor, everything is fine

edit 2: here is my last establishings; inline verification doenst work any site and any sign(even activeded inline sites). but if i copy a signed mail or text to editor and then if i erase seperation between lines, it works. but inlive verification doesnt work in any site and any situation without this way.

Last edited by Thiras (2009-11-26 10:45:32)