Topic: Trying to decrypt email in Gmail

For years I have been using Outlook combined with GNU Privacy Assistant to decrypt emails sent from our server. Public key is located on server which is used to send encrypted email to me. All I have to do is from Outlook > Action > decrypt the email.

Now I am planning to abandon Outlook and move to Gmail since its features are going to double my productivity. Everything is great with Gmail except opening those encrypted emails. So I found this well written article on google: http://www.technovisionary.com/howto-se … gp-encrypt
Also learned about Philip Zimmermann a little bit. Got to check out the zfone soon.

Anyway, I followed the instruction and I could not make it work. I have replaced the old public key on the server with the new public key generated by the FireGPG. Is there anything else I am supposed to do?

Although article said Gmail will detect the encrypted email and show button to decrypt, I do not see any of those. So I select all the text from ---BEGIN PGP MESSAGE ---- to the end of ---END PGP MESSAGE--- and right click and FireGPG > decrypt.

Here is error I get
Decryption failed. Unknown error.
gpg: invalid radix64 character 3A skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 28 skipped
gpg: invalid radix64 character 29 skipped
gpg: CRC error; 1AD133 - 58EC8A
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=55)
[GNUPG:] NODATA 3

Thanks for any help.

Shwe

Re: Trying to decrypt email in Gmail

Your mail doesn't seem to be correctly encrypted. Use openpgp/mime instead of email, it's better.

ya baby. I did it. I just remember what I did long time ago when I had same problem.
I created both private key and public key on the mail server (uses linux). Export both private/public keys and import them to my desktop at home (windows). And messages are sent encrypted using public key created locally on the server and desktop computer decrypts fine. I am newbie at these things but it seems there is incompatibility between gpg versions on server (1.4.7) and desktop (2.0.12)?

I have the same problem - same message. but this is only for firefox 3.6 . in previous version (3.5.6) firegpg decrypted the same message correctly! so i do not think it is message problem. maybe something with firefox 3.6...

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem, firegpg started not to work after installation of new version of firefox 3.6. Maybe there´s a problem with incompatibility with this new version. It lasts more than 1 month.
Pls. if you have time, have a look on this bug.
Thanx in advance.

See message http://forum.getfiregpg.org/viewtopic.p … 2703#p2703

I have also seen this problem.

thanx a lot AtesComp, it helped, however I would appreciate not to do it so complicated, maybe somebody can solve the bug ;-)

It's works for me, so I can't debug anything...

Same error here. Ubuntu 9.04 with Firefox 3.6 and FireGPG 0.7.10 in use with gmail.com

Empleos en Puerto Vallarta

Last edited by BugMeNot (2014-02-19 20:07:28)

the_glu - could I help with debuging this? because of this bug I have not switched to firefox 3.6...